Monday, November 29, 2010

When I grow up I want to be....

Do any of you listen to KSL radio? There is advertisement on there that goes something like this. It's not exactly like this but you can get the basic idea

Teacher: What do you want to be when you grow up?
Student: Astronaut
Student: Doctor
Student: Scientist
Student: An Alcoholic
Teacher: You really want to be an alcoholic:
Student: No but it studies show that kids that try alcoholic at young age will grow up to be alcoholics.

I haven't heard it in while on radio so I can't recall word for word. Today on the way home from working out at the gym Liam says, "Mom know what I want to be when I grow up?" I said, "What do you want to be?" Liam proudly says, "I want to be an alcoholic."
I had to do the best I could not to slam on the brakes. I had to explain to him that he really doesn't want to be that when he grows up. As most of you know how easily Liam can get his feelings hurt he was crying because I don't want him to be an alcoholic.

I then went on to explain what an alcoholic was and how it wasn't a good career choice. We also talked about how the prophet as asked us not to drink alcohol . He than asked if you drink alcohol can you still go to church. I was thinking how is the best way to answer this question. This was my answer, "That is great that they are going to church that is where they need to be but they aren't keeping the word of wisdom by drinking alcohol."

Lyncoln was in the tub pretending she was drinking coffee and this is how our conversation went.


Me: Why don't you pretend it's hot chocolate?
Lyncoln: No
Me: The prophet has asked us not to drink coffee, so we shouldn't even pretend to do drink it.
Lyncoln: Will it kill me?
Me: No it won't kill you.
Lyncoln: Will it make me lazy?
Me: Laughing and saying no it won't make you lazy.

Sure fun trying to teach a three year old about the word of wisdom.That is twice in less than week that I have talked to my kids about the Word of Wisdom. I know what we will be having a lesson on tonight for family night.

3 comments:

Cindy B said...

Great commercial; too bad Liam misunderstood! It's a hard lesson to teach sometimes.

Anonymous said...

This was a nice article to read, thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

This was pretty provided that there are a lot of out there just waiting for the right.